Macaroni Cheese is definitely the meal the kids request the most as it is one that they can easily make themselves with me as their able helper. I've been experimenting with the macaroni cheese theme and while some, especially those involving tomatoes, were absolutely vetoed, this incarnation with tuna and sweetcorn won their express approval. They even asked for seconds and thirds, amid cries of "it's so good!" Mummy dream fulfilled right there!
Tuna and Sweetcorn "Macaroni" Cheese - Serves 4
40g gluten-free plain flour
250g gluten-free pasta
200g cheddar cheese, grated
50g feta cheese, crumbled
160g tuna, flaked
1. Melt butter at a medium heat in a saucepan. Incorporate flour and cook for two minutes.
2. Add milk slowly, whisking continuously until all has been added and lumps are gone.
3. Add bay leaf and simmer at a low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Cook pasta.
5. Remove sauce from heat. Season to taste. Mix with pasta, 150g cheddar cheese, feta cheese, sweetcorn and tuna.
6. Transfer to an oven-proof dish and sprinkle over the remainder of the cheddar cheese.
7. Cook at 200C for 30min or until golden and bubbling on top.